View Single Post
Old 08-17-2022, 11:00 AM   #14
inghamm
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Again, you're not "boosting" anything. You're "retrieving" whatever signal is outside. The yagi gives you more surface area to retrieve with, but there is no "amplication" happening. You're retrieving and extending a signal. You cannot pour water from one bucket to another and expect to have more water.
https://www.surecall.com/support/upl...User_Guide.pdf

The signal goes to an amplifier (booster) mounted inside my trailer. It amplifies the cell signal and then sends it out from the small antenna on top of the amplifier. If you adjust the gain (amplification) too high, the amplified signal inside gets picked up by the antenna outside, creating a signal loop. It has "Automatic Gain Control" to help prevent this from happening. Although water may not be capable of being amplified, signal can. The tiny amount of signal from a phono cartridge on a record player goes to a pre-amplifier to raise the signal up to the "line level" of most audio sources, and then on to another amplifier to send the signal to speakers. On top of my house I have TV antennas so I can pull in free digital TV. I have the best antennas I can buy so I start with the best signal possible, but then I also have an amplifier at the antenna to boost the signal down the wire into the house, and then a distribution amplifier to boost the signal out to various spots in the house. That way my devices get much more signal than if I didn't have the amplifiers. So in this case we are using the better signal from the Yagi outside and then amplifying the signal for our smaller cell phone antennas inside.

TM: 2007 2720 (QB) TV: 2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Hopkins INSIGHT brake controller, Andersen No-Sway WDH
CARCHET Solar Powered TMPS
Dometic CRX-1110 AC/DC Compressor Fridge, 200 W Solar
inghamm is offline   Reply With Quote