View Single Post
Old 04-18-2015, 10:11 PM   #3
KatesRiver

Yes, LoveToCamp sent the most helpful PM today and, with his permission, I am pasting it here (thanks again, LTC!):

---------------------------

Kate,

We feel the Standard is noticeably wider. I didn't think 6" would make a difference, but it does, in a number of ways.

First, the distance between the sink and the bathroom wall is wider. Easier to get around someone at the sink, if you want to get to the drawers in the kitchen.

Second, the dinette table is 6" wider, so there is more room to set out dinner. There are only two of us, but we like that extra space.

Third, if you don't go with the slide, the bed is 6" longer for whoever sleeps on the front (double) bed. That doesn't matter to kids, but if you have an adult or two join you for a trip, they will appreciate that extra length in bed. It makes no difference in the king bed, as you sleep lengthwise in that bed, instead of crawling over one another.

The dinette converted to a bed is not as comfortable as a flat mattress, but that can be a non-issue to some. My hunting buddy slept on the dinette conversion, and didn't complain about it. If you put a thin camping pad down, and use a sleeping bag, you may not notice the seams between cushions very much. On the other hand, if one is a "princess", like my wife, the seams would be annoying.

My Sport had two propane tanks (I ordered it that way), and one battery. The battery was on the outside. My Standard has the battery inside, and I added a second one (thought one was dead, bought another, then found out the other was still good. So, I just hooked both up, under a dinette bench, and all is good.) No, you could not put two on the Sport, outside, but you could put two under the bench. A vent to the outside is the only thing that would be missing. The factory could put the vent in, if you asked to place the batteries in the dinette bench. They are always accommodating to special requests, and changing layouts all the time. Just because the old Sport had the battery outside, does not mean they still do. Check, if you factory-order.

BUT, we have camped three or four different weeks with one battery, and a 100w solar panel (mounted to the roof). Never ran low on power, but we pay attention to power consumption. I do run the furnace when needed (some nights were around 30°), and have not had problems. We had one week with sporadic sun, and still did fine (still only had one battery then, as I just put the second battery in a couple months ago). I encourage solar, as it has worked very well for me. If you go without solar, two batteries will likely get you through a summer week, but not a cold week. Furnace fans use lots of power.

I would not do the KS if you need two sleeping areas, as the eating layout is not good for 4 people. Even 3 would be a challenge. If you do the slide, I would recommend the KD, so you have the dinette to convert. It is larger (could sleep two kids), while the sofa has less sleeping area. Plus, the sofa is 6" shorter head-to-toe, due to the armrests on the sofa. In my opinion, the sofa is only to be used for an unexpected guest, and they will not have a good night's sleep, if they are a teenager or older.

There you have it - my opinions, based on having both models. We love our KD, and for us, it is great. But, we only have an additional person once a year, so they can deal with it. If you have one or two kids, the KB is the better model. And, with more than two of you, I would go Standard, not Sport. One wouldn't think 6" makes much difference, but it certainly does. And don't woryy about that 150 lbs. Not worth considering, as the loaded trailer will weigh about 3,500 lbs. Weight difference is not enough to notice in fuel economy, nor pulling power. And the money difference is worth it, if it makes your trips more comfortable.

Good luck, and let me know if you have other questions.
TV: 2014 Grand Cherokee 3.0L diesel