View Single Post
Old 02-26-2015, 09:16 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Let me reiterate one of the most important of the comments above.

Do not EVER, for ANY REASON, plug your TM into a 220 Volt outlet, even for a moment. Everything in a TM (and almost any other RV) is designed for 120 volts. Plugging into 220 volts will damage almost everything electrical, almost instantly, including the air conditioner, the converter/charger, quite possibly the furnace and water heater control modules, and so forth. Lots of expensive parts.

Go inside the TM, and look up at the air conditioner grille on the ceiling. It is easy to remove that plastic grille. Inside you will find a label that identifies both the make/model of the air conditioner, and its power requirements. Read it, and post back if you need any assistance interpreting it.

My guess is that RVCycleGuy is right. The previous owners never used the airco, and the TM's big power plug looks to them like the plug for an electric dryer. But to be sure that they didn't plug into 220 at some point, and are now not admitting that "nothing seems to work any more", I would follow RVCycleGuy's advice, and get a 120-volt adapter to let you plug that big cord into a standard household outlet. Once plugged in, you can test everything electrical in the TM except the air conditioner's cooling settings. For example, you can start the air conditioner on one of the fan settings, which should confirm that the airco still works.

You may be able to start the air conditioner compressor (cooling) function. Once the TM is connected to 120 volts via the adapter, set the air conditioner to LOW FAN, wait a few seconds for the fan to come up to speed, then switch to LOW COOL. This works about half the time. The worst that will happen is that one of the house's circuit breakers will pop, and you will have to reset it.

Good luck

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote