View Single Post
Old 02-18-2015, 06:52 PM   #15
Wingedryder

Smile

jenkinlb,

Towing capacity is also affected by elevation. Not knowing your location nor travel interests, I'd encourage you to verify not only your vehicle's GVWR for a trailer, but also GCWR (Gross Combined Wt. Rating of both tow & towed vehicle).

Here is why: A few rolling hills at lower elevations certainly won't matter, but traversing the Rockies you'll lose significant power and tow capacity as you ascend our higher passes. It's a 2% reduction in Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (GCVWR) for every 1,000 ft. increase in elevation, if memory serves me correctly. That's both tow vehicle AND trailer rating (whatever they might be combined). I'm sure your vehicle's owner's manual will state all tow ratings, as mine certainly do. I also assume your tow vehicle is equipped with "tow package" (extra coolers, fan, et al).

Living in Colorado and having realized the limited power of my 3.5L V6, 3500# GVWR while towing my new TM last year (3500# verified by scales) in the Rockies, I'll guarantee you'd be upgrading as soon as practical if you plan to continue to play in our mtns! Something to think hard about, if this could be your situation. Hope all goes well for you!
Wingedryder is offline   Reply With Quote