View Single Post
Old 11-12-2014, 06:45 AM   #10
TravlinOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

...If either shell won't come down far enough to latch on both sides, something is wrong, and you need to find out what....

Bill
After a while, these words will be imprinted on your brain if you are like most of us. Every time, I start thinking that I have experienced every possible hindrance to closing, some new (to me) challenge comes along.

Here's some hints:
1. Walk around the TM. Look for a corner latch that might be obstructing closure; is the door properly shut down; is there a side of the shell bowing out and sitting on one of the supports?
2. Open the recalcitrant shell enough to stick your head in a look for something you forgot to put out of the way - something in the sink, on a table, top of a chair, too many bed coverings, noodles forgotten. Also, check all the flaps to be properly in place (they can slip off velcro and jam).
3. Lower the steps and open up the door and look inside from this angle.
4. All clear? Then next try going to the opposite TM side to the middle latch that won't latch and try pulling it down almost to closure, have DW/DH put a foot in the stirrup to hold the shell there while you go back to the other side and try closure (this actually works - sometimes!).
5. Still difficult? Go up front and chect to see if the TM is level from front to back. Sometimes, to aid drainage of rain, the front of the TM is raised - if so, bring it back down to level.

Unfortunately, if all the above fails to work, you may have lost enough of the screws that hold the floor to the frame and have some slippage that has caused the shell to move away from where it used to latch easily. I had to take my TM back to the factory to fix this problem, but in the meantime, try
inserting a plate between the latch or catch and the shell. First, measure the distance needed to assist the latch in catching easily, then add the plate(s) as needed.

These are just some of the problems/solutions that I have tried. I am sure that others have developed closure routines to address problems that will arise. Just remember that quote above!