View Single Post
Old 06-19-2014, 01:06 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Meteor -

Let's go to your overall question. Your mental picture is built around "model years", and feature changes that happen on model year boundaries. This is a good mental picture for automobiles, but it does not work at all for Trail Manors. You are looking for well-defined cutover dates - you won't find them.

At Trail Manor, changes were made whenever they were ready, at various times on various models. Some changes were initially phased in on a few trailers, and in fact some were phased right back out after being included on a few trailers. Presumably this was done to accomodate parts stock on hand, parts availability, ongoing design issues, or any number of other reasons. Many changes were gradually phased in on some models over the course of a year - some trailers got it, some didn't - but were not included in other models until later.

There are any number of examples. For example, my very early build 2002 2720SL (delivered to me in October 2001) had the air conditioner mounted on the front roof (as opposed to the rear roof or the cabinet), and the spare tire mounted under the frame instead of the back bumper. Both of these were a surprise to the dealer when the trailer arrived on his lot, and many later-build 2720SLs had neither of these. Similarly, lift kits and increased-angle axles were phased in over at least two years, maybe more. The switch to 15-inch tires was even more spread out, with the biggest single-axle trailer (3124) getting them first, and other models getting them later. In this case, I bet (I don't know) it was a matter of inventory control - they had a lot of 14-inch wheels and tires in stock, and began the changeover to 15-inch where it was needed most, while phasing in the same change in smaller models as 14-inch stock on hand was used up. Again, this would have happened at various times of the year on various models, and was in no way driven by a "model year".

So people here can give you answers about their specific trailer, but you should not interpret those answers as a definitive rule. As was noted above, a lot of changes happened in the 2003-2004 time frame, but by no means all.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but there is no proper answer that matches your mental picture.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote