Thread: Going backwards
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2007, 03:54 PM   #6
Rich_in_Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Deacon View Post
The TrailManor tows (and backs) a little differently, so it takes a little getting used to - even for those of us with lots of previous experience. On our first trip out, I was pulling into a double-length spot in a mall parking lot, when I realized how close the left edge of the TrailManor was to a parked Cadillac on my side. I stopped immediately and discovered there was only one inch clearance and - yes - I would have sideswiped the Cadillac (and dented the TrailManor), if I had not stopped when I did.

The reason was that the TrailManor axle is not in the center of the trailer; it's further back on the chassis. This arrangement is great, because it helps eliminate sway and it makes for smoother towing (less rocking). But, the tail end of the TrailManor doesn't swing as much as the front-end does, when turning. The back corner tracks INSIDE where the front corner has been, in a turn, unlike my other campers and utility trailers. I just need to remember that every time I'm pulling the TrailManor and turn a little wider with the front end.
Excellent observation which, I think, also explains why it is trickier to back up. The aft placement of the wheels also make the rear end turn immediately when being "pushed" going backwards.