View Single Post
Old 09-26-2004, 10:07 AM   #19
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default 2720SL tongue weight will be about 500 lbs

I've had my 2720SL weighed twice at RVSEF (RV Safety Education Foundation) weigh ins. Tongue weights averaged about 500 lbs (their portable scales seem to have a +/- 25 variance so the exact weights are a bit suspect).

Weighing was done with filled water heater, basic (3 gal) toilet charge, half filled fresh tank, and empty grey tank. Both propane tanks were filled. The refrigerator and cabinets were filled with a 4 day supply of food and beverages.

My TM has the awning and side mount AC, the last time also had dual 6V Golf Cart batteries in the rear battery compartment. I also have about 50 lbs of solar panels on the front shell roof. I also still have the easy chair inside. When stowing for travel, I put the overhead cabinet (~22 lbs) and a lightweight microwave (~20 lbs) on the floor immediately in front of the couch so these items are almost totally carried as hitch weight.

The bottom line is a typical 2720SL with a ready-to-go-camping supply of propane, food, water, and gear is going to have about a 500 to 550 lb hitch weight. The hitch weight on TM's website is just like the "empty" total weight...a measurement that does not include any optional equipment (factory or dealer installed) nor does it include any food/water/propane/gear. It also may be out of date as TM has in the past added features (like more windows) with no change in their published weights.

RV "empty" weights have one thing in common with vehicle "tow ratings"...they're both bogus numbers derived from completely empty and optionless units. The RV weight grossly understates the actual load on the tow vehicle; the vehicle's tow rating grossly overstates the load the vehicle can tow. Put the two together and there's potential for major trouble. Unfortunately these measurement techniques are the standard in both industries.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote