View Single Post
Old 07-30-2004, 08:57 PM   #12
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Re:Equal-i-zer Hitch

[quote author=friscomike link=board=20;threadid=1180;start=msg15170#msg1517 0 date=1091223720]
I think there is some "more is better" thinking going on here, and I'm not sure if that is right when it comes to weight distribution hitches.
======snip=========

I initially thought that the 1,000 pound tongue weight hitch was the better choice, but I really think now that the 600 pound hitch is a better choice for the 2619, primarily because YOU ARE ONLY TRYING TO DISTRIBUTE ABOUT 600 POUNDS OF TONGUE WEIGHT.
==========snip========

Has anyone used both hitches on a Trail Manor? Which one felt better?
[/quote]

The max weight of the 26 and 27 series (2004) is around 4050 +- 25 lbs. As you've stated, a tongue weight of around 575 lbs max is allowed for by TM. All that you've said is logical, in this best of all possible worlds .

I use a 750 lb rated WDH for my 2720SL. It seems just about perfect for my needs. Since I load anywhere from 100 to 200 lbs (guess) in the back of my 4Runner, I use the extra spring bar tension to keep the vehicle level. If the tongue weight were 500 lbs, and the cargo load over/behind the rear axle of the 4Runner is 200 lbs(cargo +hitch), I reckon I can add the torsion necessary to account for 700 lbs equivalent tongue weight. If I had a lot of weight in the rear of the tow vehicle I would be inclined to keep the tv attitude about the same as it was before dropping the trailer tongue on the hitch. My WDH hitch alone weighs 75 lbs. So 525 lbs of tongue wt and 75 lbs of hitch is 600 lbs before any cargo is loaded.

For the above reason, I WOULD NOT want to use a 600 lb rated setup. I agree that a 1000 lb rated WDH may be overkill for the 26 and 27 series trailers. However, if adjusted for the actual tongue weight + WDH + light cargo, it would seem to me to be unlikely to cause excessive stress on the trailer frame. Greater damping of oscillations - sure.

Damage due to oscillations would have to be either from long term normal stresses, or instantaneous overload. The long term can probably be ruled out, if the WDH is adjusted properly for the current load. The instantaneous overload would seem to require a fairly large deflection (i.e., huge pothole encountered at hiway speeds). In that case, the damage caused by the WDH may be the least of one's problem.

Caveat emptor: Just thinking on my keyboard.

Denny_A
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote