View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 08:43 AM   #30
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBillandJane View Post
I assumed that they had inflated the tire to 65 psi its max rating. Wrong. They had to change air hoses around to get a compressor that could go that high.
The reason for this, is because most newer tire mounting machines have an air-pressure limiter of 50 psi installed on them. This keeps some unobservant/unknowing tire tech from blowing his head off. Sounds like your guy was a good example of why the limiters are there.

Most likely, they had to put an air chuck onto their impact tool hose, and air the tires up to max.

This reminds me of a young punk customer we had one time. He came in with a separated tire. When we gauged his other tires, they had around 90 psi in all of them (they should have had 32 psi). He "tried" to say we were the ones who put that much air in his tires, and was arguing real hard. I explained to him the tire machines wouldn't place but 50 psi in them at most. I put a tire/wheel on the machine and told him to air it up. When it stopped at 50 psi, he backed down. His response was, "Well, it didn't hurt to try. I guess I need to buy an air pressure gauge."