View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
davlin
TrailManor Master

TravlinOn,

Probably would have posted this in "Tires, Tires, Tires." So much has already been said there. Here are some written tire tips (also from Carlisle) in case you missed it. http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=14067

I've been running on Carlisle 225/75R 15, Load Range E since January (2007 3124KS). So far, I like them a lot. I run them at 75 psi, rather than 80. Just a bit softer ride.

Lots of back and forth on whether it's better to run on Special Trailer (ST) tires or Light Truck (LT). The only argument I can find for LT's is that you can run them faster than the 65 mph speed rating for ST's. Since I don't need to go faster than that when I'm pulling my trailer, and since there are notable downsides (as per the video) to running LT's, I'm sticking with ST's.

I ran Goodyear Marathon's on my old 3326. I did have one blowout, and it was a bit scary, but I'm not sure that I blame Goodyear for that incident. My tires were too old, and I was running them too fast.

I think that several companies make good, reliable trailer tires. The real key to problem-free trailer tires is to protect them from heat and injury. To protect them from heat, you have to keep them properly inflated, not overload them, not drive them above their recommended speed rating, and not let them get too old. This last item becomes a bit subjective, because every tire owner must find his/her own comfort level, but I believe that six years from the manufactured date stamped on the tire is absolutely the longest it should go. Some are not even comfortable keeping them that long.

Hope this help,

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote