View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
PopBeavers

I can not comment on the Prodigy P3, because I have never read the specifications.

The original Prodigy had two limitations that I did not like:

1. It could not be mounted vertically. It could be tilted, but there was an angle limit.

2. The manual said that if you pulled the pin for the trailer brakes while the Prodigy was connected that it MIGHT damage the Prodigy.

Limitation 1 was a problem for me and I thought it was silly that they designed something that had limit 2.

So I bought the Valley Industries Odyssey. It is a Prodigy knock off that eliminated those two design limitations.

If I were buying a controller I would look first at the P3. If it is acceptable then buy it. If it still has the same two limitations then look at the current model, assuming there is one, from Valley Industries. After that would be the older prodigy.

There are other controllers. Stay away from the time based controllers. A search will find a lot of information as to why they are a bad idea.

There are two other technologies. BrakeSmart and Jordan, if I recall correctly. One of them uses a cable connected to the brake pedal. The other taps into the hydraulic brake fluid line. I think Jordan is in limbo due to reorganization, but may be very old news.

My 2002 Chevy Crew Cab has the Valley Industries Odyssey. My 2008 GMC Crew Cab has the IBC (Integrated Brake Controller). The GMC IBC can simulate ABS brakes on the trailer when ABS is engaged in the TV.

I like the IBC much more than the Odyssey. If I was buying a TV today I would only look at ones that had IBC. But that is beyond the scope of your question. You already have the TV.