View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 07:56 PM   #17
Philip

Default Where I Got My 15" Rims & Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgpmd1 View Post
Thanks Phillip for taking us through on how you installed your lift kit. I got he lift kit the Friday before last and found the axle welded as well. I think I'm going some help from the DH! Also, I looked back and did not see this info, but can you let me know where you purchased your 15" tires and wheels? The discount tire.com guy did not return my calls regarding the bolt spacing. So not sure if they can send me the proper ones or not.

Thanks! Can't wait to upgrade my TM. We're headed out west later this summer and I'm going to use as an office at camp prior to our trip.
Hello,

I got my new rims and tires at a local tire dealer. He actually had a better price than I could get on the internet. I could also check the age date before I purchased them The rims are 5 lug 4.5" lug spacing - a very common rim. I had the tires dynamically balanced.

I should also mention that today I checked the allignment of the axle. I was not comfortable just putting the axle back into the position that it came from the factory. Since the factory did not even bother to balance the tires I wondered how good of a job they did aligning the axle. I checked the alignment as the Dexter suspension system people recommend. I hung a plumb line from the front center of the hitch coupler and another plumb line from the end of the axle tube(where it meets the spindle arm) and measured the distance at each end of the axle. Dexter says the difference should be no more than a 1/16". Our difference was 5/16". We moved one axle end to make them equal and tightned up the bolts again.

I have decided to have the axle welded in place - welds on both ends of the spacer tube between the frame and axle bracket for a total of eight welds holding the axle in place. Since I am now sure the axle is properly aligned, I feel comfortable doing this welding. I also feel welding assures alignment better than if I put washers or a crush sleeve on the bolt so that I could really tighten them down hard. I feel no amount of bolt tension could be as positive(at holding alignment) as the welds.

You noted that you are going out west later this summer. Where are you going? We are also going out west later this summer - leave ~ July 8. We are planning an approx. 2.5 month trip through the northern parks then up through Glacier and into Canada - Jasper, Banff, etc.

Happy trails,

Phil & Susan Friess
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote