View Single Post
Old 09-08-2005, 10:26 AM   #5
terryjones1

Default Towing with Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Camper
How about a trip report... where you went, where you stayed, what you did...things that went right,,,,and wrong,,,,,what you learned... pass that on, it will help many new TMers... and us older ones too...
We started out on our trip from our home near Sacramento. We used "bidding for travel" and Price Line for reserving hotel rooms (This is an inexpensive way to travel and stay in good hotels). We stopped (stayed overnight) in Bakersfield, Flagstaff, Albuquerque, Fort Stockton, and stayed several days in San Antonio waiting for the trailer to be delivered from the factory. We really enjoyed visiting the "River Walk" area. It was very pretty with lots of restaurants.

We finally picked up our trailer and headed for Branson, Missouri. We stayed in Branson for several days and saw three shows.

After that, we went to our daughter's home in Berwyn, Pa (near Philadelphia). We stayed at there house for 9 days. Our trailer was parked out front, closed up. We had a nice visit with her, her husband, and the grand kids. We went camping with them for a couple of days. All six of us fit in the trailer. We, also, spent a day in New York City.

After that visit, we headed West. We visited Grand Teton & Yellowstone National Parks for a week. We saw tons of Bison, lots of Elk, & a Grizzley & her cub. We then headed to the Oregon Coast. We stayed at Coos Bay for five days. It was nice and cool. We then went to the Rogue River area for several days. Then we drove home.

Except for the places mentioned above, we stayed in places along the way only one night. We would travel from 200 + to 300 + miles per day. We payed anywhere from $43 to free for camping.

Towing the Trailmanor with the Silverado was super easy. It took awhile to get used to setting up & taking down the trailer so often. I would prefer that we were able to access things in the trailer when we were traveling.

I appreciated the electric tongue jack. It made it easy to connect, disconnect, and level the trailer. First, I would ensure that the trailer was not too far out of level from side to side (If it was, I would put blocks under the wheel of the low side). I would then place wheel chauks at the wheels. Then, I would disconnect, & level the trailer from back to front using the tongue jack. I would use an 18DCV drill & 1/4 " allen wrench on the rear scissor jacks to level the trailer side to side. I installed stick on levels to help with leveling. I would then re-level front to back, and set the front scissor jacks. Using this technique, ensures that you start with a level trailer.

Opening the trailer, and setting up the inside is the easy part.

Every thing worked properly in the trailer.