View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 08:22 PM   #5
BigBear

I have a Chevy Trailblazer with the inline six cylinder rated at 5200 lbs towing which is rated for less tower capacity than your trailblazer with the V8 at 6800 lbs. I have a 2007 2720SL trailer which weighs about 3500 lbs loaded. Your heavier duty trailblazer should probably be able to tow the bigger and heavier trailmanor which probably weighs closer to 4000 lbs loaded. I moved up from a ford explorer V6 with class 2 hitch and the 3500 lb towing capacity and found that with no wind I could easily tow at 70 mph on straights and curve with the trailblazer whereas I found that I could tow only comfortably around curves with my Explorer at a top speed of about 60 mph. I did experience one area that was exposed to the wind along the Columbia valley for an hour with my trailblazer where there was a strong side wind and found that I needed to slow down to 60 mph to feel comfortable driving. I am still working so only use my trailer for one month a year and find the trailblazer a good size for driving with or without the trailer. If I was retired and going to use the trailer more I might have bought a slightly larger tow vehicle such as a chevy tahoe and perhaps then I would not need to slow to 60 mph under high winds however these occur very seldom, maybe only less than 5% of the time. In general I think your tow vehicle would be fine and you probably would not even notice the wind because of your higher towing capacity and stiffer suspension. You definitely need some sort of weight distribution hitch however or you will bounce all over the place. I have a steep drive way and when I backed up the force was so high that I bent the swing hitch bracket and subsequently had to get rid of the swing hitch and simply weld it up to make it stronger but apparently very few others have had this problem and I suspect it is largely as a result of my steep driveway and the excessive force that this puts on swing hitch with the 750 lb equalizer bars. I hope this info helps a bit. I am not an expert but this is my experience with my chevy trailblazer