View Single Post
Old 08-03-2003, 06:00 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re: Joining the TM family, the snowball effect

[quote author=Civil_War_Buff link=board=1;threadid=154;start=0#msg7614 date=1059927147]
Hey Bob got me thinking here about bearings. I have not and I am coming up on the one year mark for our TM and I think I may want to tackle this. I have never worked with an axle that has the bearing buddy before, and was wondering if this is really an easy task?
Larry
[/quote]
Larry -

I think a Bearing Buddy is a different device. Seems to me I have one on my boat trailer, which is 300 miles away at the moment so I can't check. But if I recall correctly, a Bearing Buddy is a sealed grease chamber with a spring-loaded cap. As you pump grease into the bearing, you also pump some into the chamber, forcing the spring back. Then the spring pressure keeps the grease pressurized and keeps water out of the bearing - important for a boat trailer.

However, I can imagine that the spring will retract just so far. If you load the chamber up with grease, and then keep pumping in even more, I can imagine that you would blow something.

The TM bearings are not pressurized - they simply have flow-through grease channels so that when you pump in new grease, it pushes the old grease out. Dexter axle calls this EZ-Lube. There is a good diagram at http://www.dexteraxle.com/pdf_files/...ube%209-02.pdf

When you buy grease, be sure you get the correct grade. It is a lithium grease, and should say NLGI-2 on the package.

OilSpot, kick in here ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote