View Single Post
Old 09-06-2008, 08:56 PM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

The Dexter instructions that came with the TM and the Prodigy brake controller instructions both say to manually brake the trailer brakes using the lever on the controller during the break-in procedure. That's why I did that.

I pulled both wheels off just to triple check the bearings, raceways, tightness of the castle nut, and brake adjustment. This time, I remembered my infrared thermometer and took a baseline reading of 71 degrees at home. By the time we drove 5 miles in city traffic, the hubs shot up to 130 degrees, and the wheel was about 125. Very hot to touch, but not quite as hot as yesterday.

On the way home, I decided to turn the output voltage on the brake controller to zero, essentially disabling the TM's brakes. I again took a baseline reading before heading back, and they had cooled to 72 degrees. After 5 miles along the same exact route, the hubs heated up to 82 degrees. Much better.

So it seems the TM brakes were set too high, and the TM was pulling back on the TV during braking. So now I think I'm going to increase the controller voltage to just below the point where the hubs heat up. I can't think of any other way to do it, but I know running hubs at 130-150 degrees is not a good idea.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote