View Single Post
Old 07-12-2022, 02:31 PM   #13
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Here are my five rules for parking a trailer and not getting divorced.
1. Clearly agree on where the trailer is going - Both of you agree IN ADVANCE where you want the trailer to end up. I usually say "Do we want the passenger tire of the trailer HERE?"

2. Communications - If you can use your cell phone to talk to your guide. If cell service is not available or spotty, a pair of inexpensive "Walkie Talkies" (I recommend GMRS radios)

3. Guide gives directions as to where the back of the trailer needs to go, and the driver figures out how to make it do that. "The back needs to go a little more left.... Now go straight".

4. Driver uses a simple strategy to make the trailer do what the guide says. To make the back of the trailer go left, place your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel, and when the guide says "left" you move the hand at the bottom of the steering wheel...LEFT!

5. Don't press a lousy situation. If you have overshot, jack-knifed, or gone in the wrong direction. You should ABSOLUTELY drive forward, and start again. You may even have to drive around the loop to take a second shot at it.

And lastly, if you have kids.... Get them out of the TV and have them hunt snipe, collect fire wood, go to the bathroom, anything but being in the way of the trailer, or "helping" you to back the trailer in.

PS. Go practice in a mall parking lot, way away from any cars, people, or light poles.
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Kmikesell is offline   Reply With Quote