View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 11:31 AM   #20
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
My truck is quite likely a little heavier than the average TV used with a TM and my wheelbase is also quite likely a little longer than the average TV used with a TM. <snip> I still believe that not all trucks will be helped with a WD hitch. Since the F150 has been reported as being helped with a WD hitch, and I am reporting that I don't see that it would change anything, my conclusion is that a 3/4 ton truck or larger appears to be the smallest truck that is above the boundary line of use or do not sue a WD hitch.
Wayne -

Based on my own experience with my Explorer (which counts as a 1/2 ton, I believe), as well as the reports of others, I think that you have reached a pretty good conclusion. It is a rule of thumb, of course, and I suppose there may be exceptions. For example, a really long-wheelbase 1/2-ton truck (crewcab long bed, for example) might get away without a WDH, because the front end won't be unweighted very much, out at the end of that long lever arm. But I think there will not be many exceptions. Thanks for the thoughts and reasoning.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote