Thread: TM and Wind
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 04:03 PM   #12
grakin

I'm used to wind - I live in a very windy part of the country, the southeast part of Wyoming. I camp in the area as well.

I've camped in 60+ MPH gusts (yes, really), without a problem with the TM. The TM stayed on the ground fine, although the beds shook a bit. But that's to be expected in that type of wind. If I have a choice, I park so that the wind hits the front of the TM (so it has less force on the TM and so that the door doesn't get ripped out of my hands when opening it - I've broken two car doors out here when wind caught them unexpectedly). But I don't worry about this too much - if my ideal spot isn't situated that way, that's okay, I'll take it anyhow.

Now if you have a small tornado or very large dust devil, I don't know if much is going to help you - a traditional travel trailer is going to end up on it's side too. That's why code requires mobile homes to be strapped down in most places. If it can flip a mobile home, it certainly can flip a small travel trailer!

Where the TM shines is towing through strong winds - I've towed with 50+ MPH crosswinds, no problem. Sure you feel those winds, but the TM tracks well. I wouldn't have wanted to have a full height travel trailer behind me in some of that wind.

If there is a tornado warning or something, I'll make sure that I'm close to a sturdy building when I'm camping. I probably wouldn't bother putting the TM down - I figure if a tornado hits, it doesn't matter whether or not it was expanded, it's going to be an insurance claim. Instead I'm going to worry about myself and get myself to safety. The best thing anyone can do if they camp in tornado country. You don't want to be in ANY place that isn't very sturdy in a bad storm.

(I'm in Alberta right now - there were two days of sustained 30-40 MPH winds, lots of gusts; I felt plenty safe in the TM)