Thread: Durability.
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 06:50 PM   #8
Steverino

We bought our TM used, so I can't vouch for the treatment it received prior. However, I would say that the design is ingenious, but let down by the workmanship and types of materials selected. The cabinetry and trim (with the stuck-on woodgrain) doesn't wear very well, and I have discovered numerous screws in various parts of the unit that were not placed properly. The materials chosen for parts of the structure (wood framing) also impact the durability.

I have a feeling that these sort of issues are not uncommon in the RV industry, so it may be unfair to single out TM. Also, it is probably unreasonable to expect Honda quality in an ultra-low volume product such as the TM. If they were to build to much higher standards, they would have to double the prices & sell nothing. OTOH, I think I'd be a bit frustrated with some of the issues if I had paid full retail price for a new unit...

In sum, I think the TM is a decent product, especially for caring and careful owners who don't mind doing a bit of figuring on their own. Regarding rough roads, one area that has had some attention over the years on this board has been the issue of the shell latches (both the main latches and the corner latches as well) I know on some TM's, the corner latches have had a tendency to pull loose when the trailer is subjected to lots of bouncing and/or the main latches aren't holding properly. Search this topic for more info. I've had this problem on mine as well. Maybe the factory has upgraded this design by now??

My $0.15. ($.02 adjusted for inflation)

Steve