Thread: Durability.
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2007, 11:01 AM   #2
jellis

While I believe the TM to be one of the better built RVs out there, it does come with some built-in problems. One of these is the understandable desire of the factory to keep it as light as possible. This is, after all, their holy grail; the ability to tow at least the smaller models with almost any mid-size or larger vehicle. The problem comes when the light construction meets up with the realities of unavoidable rough use. We recently towed our 3124KB through Oklahoma to Colorado. We think the damage occurred while going through Oklahoma City on I-40, which was VERY rough and in need of repair. When we got to New Mexico for the night, the cabinet holding our combo microwave/toaster oven had collapsed, mostly from wood framing that was split due to misplaced staples.

On returning home, I replaced the cabinet framing (which was made of some sort of softwood) with real maple to match the appearance of the rest of the cabinets. The softwood is covered with a plastic film which contains a maple-appearing finish. The softwood is joined with staples, some of which are properly placed and many, many more that were just thrown in willy-nilly and don't even attach to more than one piece of wood. After replacing the wood with real maple and joining with pocket screws, I have a sturdy shelf that I feel will hold up to the punishment of many years on the road. I expect to do the same with other parts of the cabinetry. Naturally, our TM is now marginally heavier than before.

Two points come to mind: One, that we can't really fault TrailManor for making what they advertise, a lightweight trailer. Two, that over the years, these things are going to need some beefing up, and when we do that, we are going to add some weight and need to adjust our loading and driving habits accordingly.

I believe I read recently that TM had hired a quality control professional. I sincerely hope that this person takes a good look at their processes and ensures that their truly are building the best product possible, given the weight constraints. Our 2006 was built a lot better than our 2007.