View Single Post
Old 06-29-2007, 05:20 AM   #19
lnussbau

Actually, a shorter trailer is a bit "twitchier" than a longer one, that is, it responds more quickly to even the slightest turn -- it's due to the length of the lever arm when turning during backing (that's almost constant -- small corrections).

An 18" clearance would be awfully snug -- I know I wouldn't even fit in that space, let alone be able to bend over to get at the shell release levers. And it'd be tough to get at the water connection and maintenance panels on the port side, and it'd be difficult to tighten the lug nuts and check the tire pressure there, too.

However, if you're willing to pull the trailer out (and have a place to do so) when ready to prepare it for the road, it might work. Personally, I'd want at least 2 1/2 or 3 feet.

One thing I'd note: DW and I manually push our 2720SL into the garage for winter storage (or any other time we need it in there). With the wheel on the tongue lift, if your location is almost level, it's easy for two people to move it around -- almost as easy as with a light aircraft. Once we get it moving, DW stands by with the chocks and checks clearances while I do the remainder of the moving. But if there's much of a slope, it could easily get away from you. Come to think of it, if my driveway were perfectly level, I'd have no trouble moving it alone.