View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007, 12:23 PM   #11
Dixielou

Default Honda Ridgeline Truck

Overall, we have been delighted with the towing ability of the Honda Ridgeline. It is quick and responsive with trailer in tow. Maximum torque is available over an exceptionally wide range of engine speeds (3,500 rpm to 4,500 rpm), which makes one think in highway passing situations there's a V8 under the hood. In towing our TM we have had absolutely no problem in keeping up with traffic. The Ridgeline's high-tech 3.5L engine is the same engine as in the Acura MDX and Honda Pilot, but built extra-tough with a 5-speed automatic that was specifically engineered for the Ridgeline. This is one tough truck, and it rides beautifully with and without the 3326K in tow.

We have traveled on many steep and long inclines, but as of yet we haven't ventured into the mountains with our trailer and Honda. Given the Ridgeline's 245 lb.-ft torque rating, I would anticipate slowing down in the highest of elevations. For someone planning on frequent camping in high elevations, and/or routinely traveling in the higher mountains, I think a V8 engine, with a minimum of 300 lb.-ft + torque, would be more appropriate for the 3326K. Having said all this, you may be surprised to learn that for quite a few years I towed a 3124KB, and later our first 3326K, with a '94 Ford 4WD Aerostar minivan, 5000 lb rated towing capacity, which only had a 215 lb.-ft torque engine. With this Ford truck we towed our TM's all over the western USA and into Canada, avoiding the highest mountain ranges when possible, and to my distress, experiencing the dreaded "white knuckles" when not possible, but surviving to live and love another day. Compared to the Ridgeline, our '94 Ford Aerostar (which we still have) is of an old technology and certainly not in the same league as the Honda truck of today.

We purchased our Honda Ridgeline truck primarily to serve as an everyday driver but also wanted a truck to be able to tow our 3326K. Realizing that our loaded TM ready for the road would be close to the Ridgeline's towing recommendations (5000 lbs.) I have taken several precautions, such as replacing stock oils with Amsoil. Our Ridgeline has Amsoil in the engine, transmission, transfer assembly and rear differential. Synthetic lubricants in general, and Amsoil in particular, protect an engine and drive train from the heat and wear induced by towing. Synthetic oils add a measure of protection to the power train that all who tow ought to consider. Also, I never pull our TM with its water tank full. Since we only stay at camp grounds and parks with full facilities, it is not necessary for us to carry the extra weight of water. We do not overload our 3326K, nor our Ridgeline. Lastly, I do not drive with trailer in tow faster than 65 mph, other than when passing.

In summary, we continue to be delighted with our Ridgeline. It is a great everyday ride and a safe and competent tow vehicle.