View Single Post
Old 09-27-2006, 10:42 PM   #13
Goodyear Travels

Default Eric's Tacoma & K&N's

Ray,

Thank you for explaining your rather strong bias re. K&N's.
I did call a factory tech today and I felt that he probably was not as well informed about his own product line as you seem to be. He, of course, denied most of your assertions which I read to him over the phone.

So, I tried on my own to compare the dyno study done by K&N for the V8 Tundra and the V6 Tacoma. It appeared to my uneducated eyes that the HP increase for the Tacoma (about 9.45) is more or less consistant throughout its mid to upper range (3k -5k rpm). This increase (I would think) would tend to be more noticeable in a lighter weight vehicle like the Tacoma. Unlike the Tacoma, the HP increase for the Tundra is not consistant throughout it's range & it doesn't come on strong until the engine is almost screaming. So, I guess I can understand why Tundra owners are so disappointed with minimal performance gains.

I very much appreciate your warning about over-oiling. I intend to be Spartan with the oil. But I'm just so atuned to my little truck that I can't help but appreciate it's increased mid-range performance. It only gets noisy when I "get on it" -- which is almost never. I just need to get up an occasional hill or two when I am towing and the consistant increase across the power band suggests to me that I haven't lost torque. I'll be running the Tacoma and the TM up to about 5k ft in a few weeks as a test run.

I'm doing my best to learn about coxing more power out of my Tacoma. I guess that sometimes you have to decide to whether to trust your personal experience -- or whether to trust the experience of better informed sources. Ray, I can hear my dear, departed Dad's voice saying, "Son, ya better listen or you're gonna get yourself in a mess".

But I'm glad that folks like you are still willing to share their knowledge with folks like me. One way or another -- it all works for our growth.

Thanks for yout time, eric