View Single Post
Old 09-27-2006, 08:22 PM   #10
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny_A View Post
Thanks RMR! Seems it were a lucky thing for me that I responded to the original post. Otherwise I'd be toolin' along FD&H until a costly failure occurred.

Fortunately the previous owner included the OEM intake system with the truck. It's safely in my wheel barrow as I type. Think I'll see my local dealer for a reverse surgical operation. Hopeing that's possible w/out having to undo ($$$) extensive plumbing changes made to accommodate the K&N.

If it ain't sumpin', then it'll be sumpin' else! Sigh.

Denny
Welcome Denny. If all the OEM parts are there, it shouldn't be a big job to replace the K&N. I'd recommend a MAF sensor cleaning while the dealer is replacing the parts. After the ECU adjusts to the change, you'll find you have noticeably more mid range (~3000 RPM) torque though perhaps a tiny bit less at the top end (~5000 RPM) and the truck will be a heckuva lot quieter and more civil.

And there's undoubtedly there's some believes-everything-he-reads sucker out there who will pay you a pretty good price (at least $100) if you auction the K&N on eBay. List on the K&N is somewhere around $300 so you should be able to get at least $100 for yours. Oughta cover the dealer charge or a goodly chunk of it.

And if you want to get some really serious towing torque out of your truck's drivetrain, just do the same mods I did to mine. The JBA headers (7% mid range torque gain), Gibson muffler (3% mid range torque gain), and regeared axles (10% across the board rear wheel torque gain) have collectively given me a solid 20% increase in rear wheel torque over stock. My truck literally pulls like a diesel...I can tow my TM west from Denver (climbing from ~5200 feet to over 11,000 feet) with only 2 stretches where it has to shift down out of 3rd (Drive). And even at 6000 feet, I have to be real careful to avoid rear tire spin...even when the trailer is hooked up and weighing down the truck I can readily spin the rear tires if the road surface has the slightest bit of sand or gravel on it. I've got so much torque available that mountain towing is a positively enjoyable experience.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote