View Single Post
Old 09-27-2006, 08:01 PM   #9
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Lucky...or you really know the proper re-oiling technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blueranger View Post
I have used a K&N filter or something similar on every vehicle I have owned since about 1980. They are less expensive in the long run, as you can clean, reoil, and use them again and again. Ams Oil sells one that is guaranteed for the life of your vehicle. The ones I used all gave me a little increase in gas mileage and a little more performance it seemed. I have never had even a remote problem with anything in the engine management systems. One 1978 chevy I owned has 200,000 miles and still running. My 2004 f-150, 2002 ranger and 1999 taurus all have this type of air filter on them. Maybe I've just been lucky.
First, K&Ns do actually help most domestics...mainly because the intake system on domestic brands isn't nearly as well engineered as on some import brands...in particular Toyota and BMW (these were the specific makes that K&N engineers were quoted as saying they couldn't improve on). From what I've seen of domestic intake tracts, K&N really does have a wide-open opportunity to improve intake performance.

Second, there is no problem with oil migration/sensor contamination on any engine that either doesn't have a Mass Airflow Sensor (basically any vehicle made prior to 1996), doesn't use heated sensor wires in the MAF, or has the MAF considerably downstream in the intake tract so migrating oil doesn't reach the sensor wires. A major reason the Toyota Tundra in particular is very sensitive to K&N oil causing sensor problems is the MAF on this engine is only a couple of inches downstream from the filter...any oil the gets sucked off the filter will immediately coat/contaminate the sensor.

Finally, if you actually know the proper way to oil a K&N (i.e. apply only enough oil to get a slight pink color without any visible oil), then the oil doesn't get sucked off. However, most people grossly overoil these filters and that's where the problem starts.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote