View Single Post
Old 08-16-2005, 09:51 PM   #3
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Lightbulb Some thoughts about.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by InALaska
We are considering purchasing a 2619 TM and have a 2002 Highlander V6 w/a towing package. Have read several posts and am concerned about using this vehicle for towing. If anyone has experience, good or bad, with towing the 2619 with a Highlander V6, I would appreciate your input.
.....the 2002 V6 Highlander; the following copied from an auto site:

Performance Base Number of Cylinders: 6 Base Engine Size: 3 liters Base Engine Type: V6 Horsepower: 220 hp Max Horsepower: 5800 rpm Torque: 222 ft-lbs. Max Torque: 4400 rpm Maximum Payload: 1325 lbs. Maximum Towing Capacity: 3500 lbs.

Numbers are about the same as a Honda Odyssey of the same vintage. I towed for 1 1/2 yrs with an Odyssey (torque 225 max @ 4600 rpm). Unsat. Max torque at low RPM is better than at higher RPM. Highlander achieves 222 Lb-ft at 4400 RPM. Sreviceable, but not a good thing West of the Mississippi.

The 3500 lb tow limit is probably (possibly?) a function of trailer aerodynamic drag. At least that's the case for the Honda Pilot and Acura MDX. If the Highlander's limitation is similar, then the Trailmanor MAY not be nearly as limiting as a normal, full height, high drag trailer. I.e., maybe 3800 or 4000 lbs is a reasonable limit for the low profle TM. Its drag is nearly 70% lower than that of a full size (high drag profile) trailer.

The only folx who can answer that question is Toyota. If you ask the right people you COULD get a rational answer. But I don't think so. The question would likely be referred all the way to Toyota USA. I tried sometime ago to get similar info from Honda, when I had my Odyssey (same 3500 lb limit), and never received a decipherable, logically clear response. Toyota may be just as vague - or unresponsive.

Bottom line opinion; I think you can tow safely with the Highlander as long as you pay attention to a) TM weight and b) Highlander Max Combined Gross Weigth Limit. That is, max gross of both Highlander and trailer combined. My Odyssey was so limited that I removed the center row seats when trailering, just to save an extra 110 lbs of weight.

Your owner's manual should list the MCGW somewhere. It could be an eye opener. Do the math. It'll help assist in making a decision based on more complete information.

Denny_A