View Single Post
Old 11-23-2003, 08:29 PM   #9
OrangeKid

Default Re:Tire Margins on 2619

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. The RV manufacturer can easily configure a computer program to make sure that a particular combination of options will not be suitable because of exceeding rated weight limits (or any other limits) on axles and tires. An analogy to this is the Dell web site. It will not allow one to configure a computer with incompatible components. If Dell can do it why can't TM? For example, if a TM is designed to offer 1000 lbs carrying capacity the computer program could automatically tell the manufacturng line of the need for upgraded axles and tires due to options selected. I understand that in the automobile industry the springs on cars and trucks are customized based on each vehicle's weight. Why can't the same be done in the RV industry?

I personally have never heard of an axle failing and I assume it is a very rare event. Maybe axles have much higher safety margins than tires. My guess is that many RVs are overloaded; some of them grossly. We always hear of tire failures. How many people check their air pressure often enough to make sure that the full rated carrying capacity of the tire is available?

Yes, the owner has the responsiblity to make sure that his RV is not overloaded but the RV industry has a responsibility to make sure that RVs have enough carrying capacity so that RVrs can carry all the paraphernalia they normally do in the real world.

Yes, one thing we can agree it on. This is a great forum.