View Single Post
Old 07-21-2023, 10:58 AM   #10
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
I like some of the other transfer switches where the inverter will run unless it sees 120VAC input (shore power, generator) from the plug. Again, you’d have to turn off the inverter manually when not using it but I’d rather have it be shore power dominant. That way if you’re plugged in and you lose power the inverter is on stand by.
The unit which I highlighted can be made shore-power dominant by putting the shore power leads ("hot" and current carrying "neutral" return) on the input leads for "switched" position, the inputs which become active when the magnets are 'On'.

Whenever power is present on those input leads, the magnets in the switches pull in the switch arms (quite strongly). They can probably be run 24x7 ion that position, for many, many years before issues develop with the strength of the pull-back springs, and they can be switched many thousands of times. But the springs are being stretched out a bit in this scheme.

I won't be running my Inverter as a hot standby, because it takes only a moment to switch on if plug-in power fails - and because it consumes about 70 watts when running, even with zero loads connected on the 120-VAC outputs.