View Single Post
Old 03-26-2022, 01:07 AM   #2
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

What year Expedition do you have?

Brake controller: your Expedition might possibly have a trailer brake controller already built in or installed. If not, you will need one.

Mirrors: I know a lot of people use the existing mirrors (sometimes they extend out for towing). Whatever you have, it is a legal requirement to be able to see the same point 200' behind your trailer. Most stock mirrors won't do that so you may need mirrors.

Tow ball: this may seem silly, but your Expedition will have a receiver (the open square thing coming out from around the rear bumper), but you need to make sure you have the right ball to use. You probably already have a 2" ball. Later, you might want to invest in a weight distributing hitch. Even though your Expedition may not "squat" with a trailer hooked up (when the rear end sags with a trailer hooked up), there is still of lot of extra weight sitting on the rear axle, wheels, and tires. A WDH will literally transfer some of that weight to the front axle and improve handling and safety. Don't forget that when travelling, you won't have just the weight of the trailer on your rear axle. You will have all your passengers in the rear seats (possibly), and your gear. I actually overloaded the rear axle of my Tahoe one year, which has a similar towing capacity as your Expedition. That said, it's not something you need to get right away.

Good luck!

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote