View Single Post
Old 04-15-2017, 04:38 PM   #25
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
Bill mentioned weighing everything on a CAT scale. At that point though, it's kinda too late for most people. I know I'm not in a position to run out and buy a bigger tow vehicle after I bought the TrailManor. I had to be sure I was 100% confident my existing vehicle could pull the camper BEFORE I bought the camper.

2004 GMC Envoy XUV (5.3 V8, 3.73 gears)
Shane -

I fully agree with your comment. Whenever possible, you want to be sure of your tow vehicle before you pull the trigger on a TM. However, in my post #15, I was responding specifically to Gwenne and Len (post #13), and to Campers R Us (post #14), both of whom have already bought a TM and are now wondering about the tow vehicle.

I think that at this point, they have two options. The first is to solicit the experience of others, realizing that the others may drive in different terrain, and may load their rig (both tow vehicle and TM) differently. Anecdotal evidence is good, and I always advise folks to seek it and be sure to understand what it means. The second option is to weigh their own rig, since they already own both the TV and the TM. This will give them some hard facts.

Neither approach will fix a problem, but both will at least make them aware if their situation is marginal, and can influence how they pack, how they drive, and where they drive. I guess that was my point when I suggested weighing.

In order to be 100% confident, as you suggest and as we all would like to be, a new owner probably needs to do what you and I have done - buy a tow vehicle with A LOT of margin.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote