View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 06:02 AM   #6
TravlinOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
Just a thought here...last year we put new Carlise on the pup....by the time we got to Fairbanks, Ak , 10k miles they were shot
Our only choice was the Tow Master.....only lasted 7k miles now the Dexter axle had a problem.... when we weighed the pup it was 400# under the GVWR.... about 600# below the axle rating. In both cases the tires were balanced and wheel bearings correctly adjusted. These were D load range 13 inch tires at 1720# rating in both cases.
Hey Scrubjaysnest - I agree with what I think is the essence of your thought - ie that 10k miles for the Carlisle and only 7k miles for the Tow Master tires sure doesn't sound like much travel for the dollar. Personally, I love your idea of just placing a TT at a fish camp in a national forest and leaving it there until the tires disintegrate .

Carlisle has some "Trailer Tire Facts" out that aren't original just to them (I've seen the same "Facts" posted elsewhere, and here are a couple of the "Facts" they include:
1. "The mileage expectation of a trailer tire is 5,000 to 12,000 miles."
2. "In approximately three years, roughly one-third of the tire's strength is gone."
http://tinyurl.com/4gfhz37

My plan is to try to get at least 7,000 miles in no less than 3 years over smooth roads in non-desert conditions and then no matter what - replace the tires. Still cheaper and more fun than staying in motels!