View Single Post
Old 10-17-2015, 12:53 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
One thing I was told when I bought the Bantam was to let the black water build in the tank, in other words, not to leave the drain open on the outside with full hookups.
Quite right. This is very important. See the Thetford tutorial in the TM Technical Reference library for reasons and comments.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2354

Quote:
In the TM recirculating, besides the smell and my allergy to formaldehyde ...
This thing about smell is a recurring discussion. My Electra Magic has never smelled, even after I took off the vinyl flap. Of course, I do keep the lid down, and I do use a proper amount of deodorant liquid. Trying to save a dime by using too little deodorant can result in a smell.

As for formaldehyde, you might use one of the non-formaldehyde liquids. Thetford makes a good one.

Quote:
He or she who puts anything solid in the camper toilet gets to clean the tank
Again, my recirculating toilet has never needed to have the tank cleaned. In fact, several of our members who have taken the top off the toilet for one reason or another have commented about how clean the tank is inside. That 6-gallon "whoosh" really makes a difference.

Quote:
I keep a small waste can lined with a shopping bag
I would think this could smell far worse than the Thetford. Do you have some sort of airtight seal on the waste can?

I dunno ... but I am very satisfied with my original Thetford.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote