View Single Post
Old 03-01-2014, 05:55 PM   #1
Sauropod

Default Ford Flex w/ Tow package, a 3023 and 575 # tongue weight

Hello! I have been a longtime lurker but this is my first post. I recently purchased a 2006 3023 with the thought that my 2013 Ford Flex Ecoboost with the tow package (4500 lbs total, 450lbs with weight distribution hitch) could tow it. The person I purchased it from claimed around 3,800 lbs wet (minus the onboard water tanks being full) and the local scales confirmed that number. Unfortunately the tongue weight, according to my Sherline 1,000 lb tongue weight scale, is when loaded with (2) Interstate Deep cycle batteries and (2) full propane tanks a staggering 575 lbs! We took it to a local shop to verify the weight and they came up with the same #, 575, so I am confident it is accurate.

Now we are in the scenario of either purchasing a new tow vehicle or of selling the trailer and trying to find a lighter one (we'll weight it with my new scale before closing the deal this time!). With ignorance of the tongue weight we did tow it from Salt Lake to Phoenix with no issues. We tinkered with the WD hitch when we picked it up, getting back 75% of the squat on the rear tires and nearly 100% on the front tires. Those WD hitches are amazing! But, as I understand from reading on the boards, the WD still doesn't change the fact that I exceeded the tongue weight that my vehicle is rated by quite a bit.

When we removed both batteries and both tanks we were able to get the tongue weight right at 450ish but, by putting them in our TV, we then had only 40 lbs for passengers and gear so that won't work.

Any ideas on any clever redistribution of weight strategies or must I face the laws of physics? :-)

Thanks so much! These forums have been an amazing source of information!!!