View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 03:56 PM   #54
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisht View Post
Battery Boxes - Follow up

We're about to upgrade to two Trojan 6V batteries (planning on the T145s) from a 12V T27. From earlier posts here and looking over other options, it seems like there are two battery box options viable without having to rework the angle iron on the hitch. The other dual 6V boxes that I've seen are too wide to fit without having to cut and re-weld the angle iron. At present the width is only 7-3/4".

The first option is the white box for both batteries from All Battery that Wayne and others have used. The second is two individual boxes from Quick Cable (#120174, 10-11/16" x 7-3/16" x 12"). I was curious, if after working with the white box, folks still seem to think it's the way to go. A single box is cleaner for sure, but it read like this box was intended for interior applications and required some rework. Thoughts? Is the polyethylene plastic holding up in the sun?

Thanks
The box that I used is fine......my planning was poor.

If I had it to do over again, I would attach the piano hinge, latch and hole covers before installing the box and batteries. I was acting like a kid in a candy store.......I wanted that box on the tongue for a camp-out the next day and caused myself a lot of uncomfortable labor.....

If you go with the taller T145s and plan on hinging the lid, you might want to run your pop-rivets (or screws) from the inside, out. Otherwise your fasteners may rub on the batteries.

If I were storing my trailer outside, I would consider painting the box for UV protection. I'm just not sure what paint will stick to polyethylene. The other option might be to make a cover out of Sunbrella (for when it is in storage). Short term exposure to the Sun will have little effect. Months on end of daily exposure may effect the poly negatively. I have seen small poly boats and toys that fall apart after a year in the Sun.

Now that the job is done, I love the battery box. It makes it VERY convenient to check on the batteries, hook up my 12V air compressor etc. I hated having dual boxes, especialy with those darn webbed straps....