Thread: Defective Tires
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007, 04:20 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Couple questions.

Quote:
... when the trailor dropped, the dump valves for the holding tanks were ripped off
This sad result has been mentioned before. I don't think the valves were ripped off by the pavement - instead, the flying tread ripped it off as it was thrown from the carcass of the tire. Some of us have installed heavy "mud flaps" (a good Search term) in hopes of preventing this from happening, but I don't think their effectiveness has been tested in an actual failure.

Quote:
Goodyear trailor tires are not waranteed!
Goodyear tires are indeed warranteed. But here is a sad note, based on my own experiences. There are two kinds of Goodyear stores. One is a factory store. The other is a franchise. When you drive up to one, I have no idea how you tell which one you are entering. However, the factory store is pretty good about warranty reimbursement, and the franchise store will fight you to the death before issuing a credit. One of my failure was in Iowa City, Iowa. The factory store measured the remaining tread depth and immediately gave me 90% off the cost of a new tire. Another failure was in Tucson, AZ. The problem here was a manufacturiong defect in a steel belt. The factory store examined the failure, measured the tread depth, and immediately gave me 80% off the cost. The third was in Pierre, South Dakota. This was a franchise store. The owner explained a couple things to me. First, since the failure was a thrown tread, and I hadn't retrieved any of the tread hunks off the road, he couldn't measure tread depth, and so he couldn't issue a credit. And second, he could ship the carcass of the tire back to the factory and let them decide if there should be a credit. If the factory decided "YES", then everyone is happy. But if the factory decided "NO", they would ship the carcass back to him for disposal, and I would have to pay shipping charges both ways. Now that just plain sucks, doesn't it? Moral? If you can, try to find a factory store. Ask the manager which one he is running.

Finally, there are reasons not to install LT (light truck) tires on a trailer. Use the search tool to review them.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote