View Single Post
Old 05-25-2008, 05:06 PM   #18
Doug W.

I also love my Dutch Oven. Used it when I was in Boy Scouts as a boy and leader. Also used it when camping with the family.

We go canoeing at least once or twice a year. We are normally tired after a day of canoeing. My wife and sons loved this meal. I just buy a couple cans of beef stew. I put the stew in the DO. I mixed up bisquick biscuit dough and put it on top of the stew. Put it on the coals and then head to the showers. When we got back from the showers, it is ready to eat with very little effort. I also do cobbler, but my family prefers canned fruit with bisquick shortcake on top of it.

I also did not see it mentioned for the new DO users. Yes, you can bake in it. I have done biscuits, pineapple upside down cake, many cakes, muffins, ect. You just put them in a pie pan and put the pie pan in the DO. Just keep in mind you need to get the pie pan off the bottom of the DO or it will burn. Just throw some small pebbles in the bottom of the DO to let the heat circulate. Some people use three pennies, but I prefer pebbles.

I have also used a reflector oven to do some baking on camp outs back when I was roughed it. It is three piece of aluminum and some all thread that act as a shelf and holds the aluminum together. One time me and another Eagle Scout baked a fruit pie in a cardboard box line with aluminum foil and some coat hanger wire as shelves.