View Single Post
Old 05-01-2007, 09:06 PM   #17
k_and_p_camping

Default Depends on usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Camper View Post
No one asked me, but consider this.
IIRC, you can get a DO in aluminum or cast iron. The cast iron one is more $$$, but better in the long run... in this situation, don't opt for "cheaper"...
Someone jump in and correct me if I'm wrong....
I have both cast iron and aluminum Dutch Ovens (8 and 14" in cast iron, 10 and 12" in aluminum). I don't consider one or the other the "best" but they are good at different things. I use my aluminum DOs when I'm primitive camping and have to carry things (no trailer). I also use them when I'm doing canoe camping (also without trailer!). The aluminum is 1/3 the weight and doesn't rust. The cast iron pans hold their heat longer and get a better non-slick surface. They must be maintained well though since they will rust or get stinky quickly if not taken care of. Note that my 14" deep cast iron oven is so heavy when full of food that I can hardly pick it up! I certainly couldn't imagine one of my Girl Scouts moving it around, but even the very young ones could handle the aluminum DOs.

If you only use one when trailer camping, and you don't have problems with arthritis, get the cast iron. It does cook better, IMHO. However, if you have problems with taking care of the cast iron or have trouble picking up heavy objects, you can do just fine with an aluminum. Note that I think you can find a decent cast iron pot at a lower price than a good aluminum GSI DO, so it isn't necessarily an issue of price.

Pam
Heading out this weekend for a canoe trip with friends that will include an incredible potluck with great outdoor cooks. My food will be from a DO.