View Single Post
Old 05-01-2007, 03:43 PM   #16
NiceMustang

Well here are a couple of slants on the whole DO idea which I'm sure many of you do when you camp...

- The poor man's DO is just a sheet of thick tin foil (or doubled up regular thickness). We put in hamburger, onions, potatoes, maybe some carrots. For the kids who are with us and don't like it all together we'll make up small packets of each and then wrap the whole think in tin foil. Just toss them on the grate or on the fire or in the coals and let it bake. If it's above the fire or in it we'll turn them from time to time. If it's in the coals we just leave it.

- The have-to-have campfire pie tins. These are the cast iron forms on the end of short rods with wooden ends. You put a piece of buttered (on each side) bread on each half (the forms are sprayed with Pam) and then put in your fixings. We make them almost every single day we go out if it's a normal trip. We do pizza (sauce, cheese, meats), grilled cheese (just cheese), ham and cheese (you guessed it), pies (just add your favorite filling) and even chocolate pies (with broken up Hershey bars)! All goodness all the time!

How about your favorite pie items? I know this isn't quite on subject (should I have moved this to a new string?) but it connected in my head!

Dan...