View Single Post
Old 04-29-2007, 12:42 PM   #13
k_and_p_camping

I think an 8" would be great for 2 people. We bought one that size about a year ago, and I can't think of why we didn't do it before! It makes desert for 4 or main dish for 2.

As to advice on books, I think the best idea is to go to an outdoor store that stocks Dutch Ovens and just take a look at the recipes. Pretty much all the books have the books have the basics about seasoning the oven and caring for it, so it really comes down to which book has the recipes you prefer. Note that after a while you'll start using any recipe you like because a Dutch Oven is just a method of cooking. I have a preference for one pot meals, so I use casserole and "hot dish" (the midwestern term) recipes from many sources. Anything that can be cooked in your oven at home can be cooked in a Dutch Oven once you've gotten some experience.

The only thing that gets complicated is a recipe that is high in sugar. For example, one of my most requested recipes is "Monkey Bread". It's just canned biscuits, torn into 3-4 pieces each, shaken with cinnamon sugar before being placed in a greased pan. I use about 3 biscuits per person, and end up pouring some of the extra cinnamon sugar on top before cooking. That recipe requires a lower cooking temp than most because of the sugar.

Warning: Once people find out you are a competent DO cook you will be in demand at all future cookouts. You can either pretend that it's really hard and take all the accolades, or clue them in about how easy it is and let them do the cooking the next time!

Pam