Old 08-01-2021, 05:55 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Freswick View Post
I may not be using the right terms.
OK, I see.

The term "continuity" means that the wire is continuous from one end to the other. In other words, it is not broken or otherwise interrupted. A wire that does not have continuity is said to be "open".

The term "short" means that the wire has an unintended connection to some other wire or some other conductor. The term often, but not always, means an unintended connection to ground.

A wire with continuity (end-to-end) may be shorted somewhere along its length. A shorted wire (one that is touching ground somewhere along its length) may have continuity end-to-end.

When the brake controller tells you there is a short circuit, it is telling you that somewhere after the blue wire leaves the controller and heads for the brake magnet, somewhere along the way it is contacting ground. The short could be anywhere between the controller and the brake magnet. And since the wire in the magnet is basically an extension of the blue wire, the short could be at a spot where the insulation on the wire in the magnet has been worn away, allowing the magnet wire to touch the steel in the wheel. That is what Larry was referring to.

Hope this helps - I'm never sure.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote