Thread: Toyota RAV4
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #29
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Tim -

I didn't mean "out of hand" in terms of uncivil or unpleasant, but simply wildly repetitive. The link provided in post #20 of this thread says all the same stuff, and said it only two months ago. And it was covered a month before that in http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=12161 (though that discussion was buried in another topic).

The goal is simply to prevent new owners from reading about a "recommended tow vehicle list", following a link, and blindly accepting what they find there. Instead, they need to think about what they are reading, compare it to their needs, and evaluate. You may remember that not long ago, a new member came on and joyously announced that he just bought a 3124 and planned to load it with six people and all their stuff, travel through the mountains in southern California, and pull it with some tiny car - a small Saturn, I think. The membership immediately told him it wasn't going to work, and he hasn't been back since. His Saturn was on the "recommended" list, but he read the list blindly and didn't think. I bet he wasn't very happy with TM, or with us.

As HarveyRV once posted
Quote:
I've got these neat new spark plugs that will give you 10% better gas mileage.....and an air filter that will give you 20% better mileage...a fuel additive that will give you another 10%......they can all prove this stuff too. Heck, if you buy enough of these things, you can have a vehicle that will theoretically produce gas as you drive....
We've also talked about carburetors that give 300 mpg. In each case, the message is the same. "Trust everyone in the game - but always cut the cards."

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote