Thread: Toyota RAV4
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #27
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Well, the discussion is getting out of hand - again - but the "recommendation" has to be taken with a grain of salt like all advertising. It doesn't say anything about the weight of the TM, so you have to assume they are talking about the dry weight, not the weight with factory options or any of the stuff you put in the trailer. And it doesn't say anything about the amount of stuff/weight you put in your tow vehicle, whose manufacturer's ratings are always for an empty tow vehicle with no passengers except a driver. And most important (to me), it doesn't say anything about WHERE YOU WILL TOW, a point which continues to get lost somehow. I hope it is clear to everyone that towing on the flatlands of Indiana at 600 feet above sea level is different from towing up I-70 on either approach to the Eisenhower Tunnel, where you will be towing at 11,000 feet, over miles of up- and down-grades exceeding 7%. I can tell you that my Explorer, with a 7000 pound tow rating, was rather unhappy with that situation. Should I blame TM for this? And in this situation, a vehicle rated 3500 pounds would scare me to death.

So it is up to you, the camper and customer, to do a little thinking, and not just blindly buy-and-drive. And that is what this forum tries to help everyone do.

Having said all that, I'm the first to say that I am not real fond of the way TM handles this issue. But they do a better job of it than the other trailer manufacturers, particularly the makers of upright trailers in the 8,000 pound class. Everything that I have said here - and the things you should think about - is also stated on the Trailmanor web site, right below the link you mention.

Given that there is no "standard" weight for a TM, no requirment on how you load it, no agreement (or even a definition!) of the tow rating of any given tow vehicle, and no specification of where you will tow, how would you suggest that TM could improve their site?

By the way, we will all have better (though not perfect) answers to the tow rating question when, starting with the 2013 models, the tow vehicle manufacturers begin to test their vehicles against a set of defined, common standards laid out in a national standard called SAE J2807. Until now, the tow vehicle manufacturers could claim any number they wanted, and of course no manufacturer would dare list anything less than his competition. Toyota has put out a really good article on the whole issue at
http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/bl...ing-standards/. It is worth looking at.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote