View Single Post
Old 07-25-2016, 06:26 PM   #4
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

About the first thing I installed after I got the trailer was a battery cut-off switch. It's going to be very easy to run any battery flat without one. I ended up running a little bypass wire to keep the radio clock and memory set, but all other parasitic loads go off.

A charger, even a modern super-spiffy one, doesn't have to be as well-regulated as a modern converter and might put some hash on your 12V lines when you are on shore power. If you still have the original converter, it's not regulated and as you found, overcharges.

I was less than impressed with the Boondocker converter, the unit they ship is not the one advertised on their web site. But there are a number of good converters at good prices that fit in that space.

What you miss with three stage charging is the occasional equalization charge. You really should not have an equalization charge more than once every month or two, because it is intentional overcharging. Any small 4-stage charger should provide that, you don't really need a permanent device in the RV to do it.