View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 06:23 AM   #9
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Kids View Post
Thank you everyone for all your advice and quick responses. I have been reading many of the posts about towing with a minivan and gathered quite a bit of good information. I am in the process of joining this forum so hopefully will be able to access more info soon. We do have a tow package on our Sienna and we will have to stick with it as our TV. Four car seats do not fit into SUVs and trucks and we couldn’t afford an upgrade anyhow. I guess we will just have to master the technique of packing very light.

Another question, can the air conditioner be easily removed to save on weight? Or are there other items that may not be needed that could easily be removed also?

Roxanne
I might try to compensate in other ways than removing major features from the trailer (like the AC) because they are expensive and would cost a lot to replace.

Some things I've done:
- Carry very little water in the fresh water tank and gray water tanks (use campground water, and use the dump station on the way out).
- Keep one propane tank empty and the other half full.
- The battery on the tongue weighs about 80#. I replaced it with a 40# sealed gel-cell version in the aft storage compartment to reduce the tongue weight.
- Store things in plastic bins in the garage, not in the trailer (when you go, they fit on the floor in the kitchen area and stack outside at the campsite). That way you can load what you need for each trip and you don't end up hauling the beach stuff when you go to the mountains.
- Use plastic dinnerware and aluminum cookware.
- Don't drive fast, particularly when you're new to trailering. Stopping distance (approximately) and fuel consumption increase with the square of your speed. Keep longer following distances when towing. Keep your brake controller adjusted.
- Heavy trucks are very heavy vehicles compared to what we drive. Try to think like they do: allow your vehicle to climb hills in the right lane at lower speeds. Use a lower gear to control downhill speed like they do.
- Use a Weight Distributing Hitch, balance your loads (generally, forward is better), and use the truck scale to know where you stand. Read the owner's manual and manufacturer's instructions about towing. Keep axle weights less than their axle weight ratings.
- The 3 part Toyota Towing Guide is available on their website and has excellent information about towing.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote