View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #30
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

For those looking for remote camping in Colo, were I will take my 2417 (I took my canvas popup to all of these, with plenty of room on the trail). All GPS coordinates NAD83.

On Hwy 285, SW of Fairplay, Breakneck Pass road. Camped at N39.14869 W106.07746, and N39.14841 W106.05889

On Hwy 285, just S of Kenosha Pass, turn west at Jefferson on the Georgia Pass road. N39.39307 W105.89301. Not for the timid, as you may have to back down if someone else is in the site already. This is at the end of a side-road, off a Forest Service road. (Like I said, we go way back, and up!)

Anything on the top of Rabbit Ears Pass, on Hwy 40, east of Steamboat Springs. Have gone south of the road to a number of places, and may to north of the highway this summer.

I used to go in Summit County, south of Keystone, around Montezuma, but it is getting pretty crowded, even along the trail to Webster Pass, from the west side. Still beautiful scenery, but more people than we like.

Lots of places around Lake City, in southern Colorado. Or, on top of Grand Mesa, or the Flattops. Pick an area, look at the DeLorme atlas, and follow your senses.

Don't worry, I won't be at any of the specific spots again, so I am okay with sharing. I rarely camp in the same spot twice, as we like to explore. We enjoyed them all.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote