View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 06:53 AM   #6
woodlandcottage
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM Pilot View Post
Woodlandcottage,

I viewed that very 2009 TM2619 a few weeks ago. http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/3971822915.html

I ended up passing on that unit and getting a 2007 TM 2619 that was located down in Midland, TX. My impression was that his 2009 TM2619 looked too worn for its age (my 2007 is in significantly better condition that his 2009 - so much so that I drove 1250 miles round trip to get it!). While I'm not suggesting that it's a lemon, it needed more TLC than what my wife and I have time for right now (and he didn't even have it set up to demonstrate to me that all the various systems were working!). He still owes a lot of money on the trailer and thus it has a lien. Then there were all his mods...

Used TM's for sale in good condition don't last long in CO. His has been on craigslist since July. There are reasons for that. Another question is why the unit is not on consignment with Car Show Inc.?

I recommend you go back and ask him to park the unit on level ground and demonstrate ALL systems before you offer a price. Then get specific about how you both are going to work out paying off his loan and releasing the lien in a way that can't burn you. You may find that after another run-through that what you are willing to offer is less than what he owes - especially if you're considering dropping the generator from the deal. Perhaps you should simply offer to take over his payments with generator included? Every month his unit is on craigslist is another payment he has to make.

Let us know what happens.
Yes, this is so helpful! I thought it looked a little worn for its age too but having seen only a dozen or so units so far, and the wear being cosmetic as far as I could tell, I didn't think it was a real problem.
I can't believe it's been for sale since July and I only saw it a week ago. I check every couple of weeks for TM for sale near me. Weird. Maybe I was only checking for 2720's.
I was hoping someone here had also seen this unit though. What's sad is this was the best unit we've seen so far and by a long stretch, except the brand spanking new ones at The Car Show of course.
I spent a fairly sleepless night going over everything we saw and thinking about possible and invisible frame stress from that cargo carrier modification as well as the possibility that the finely balanced design of the trailer would be seriously compromised by putting any significant amount of weight back there. And with all the added weight from the hitch, carrier, generator, gas in it, solar panel, a/c and hanging cabinets, not only did our cargo carrying capacity in the trailer just go down by a lot but also puts us near a towing weight that starts to make me edgy considering our Highlander's 5000# rating. Also, I can't image the generator ever coming close to being worth it to us for the way we will most likely camp. It might go on 10% of our trips and run so sparingly that we'll probably forget we own it. Most campgrounds have all the hookups that we'll need. That and if I'm going to spent $10K+ on something, shouldn't I really be getting my preferred 2720 with the queen bed? This is something I would prefer to buy once and use 10 years. That's how we are with our vehicles.
The seller did tell us exactly what he owed on the trailer and how the transaction to purchase would be handled in person at his bank. So no real surprise or secrets there.
I really struggle with making big decisions like this(combination of perfectionism and miserliness)and last night when hubby went blissfully to sleep, he was under the impression that we were 100% going to buy it. He's going to be pretty disappointed if we pass on this. But realistically, we've only been seriously searching about a month now. I know he wants this part to be over so we can start camping but we wouldn't be doing much of that with the Winter coming anyway. I was 60% for and 40% against but he tends to only hear the positives and not my misgivings about anything. But in all other ways it's nice being married to a trusting optimist.
Oh, the generator is Honda 3000.
woodlandcottage is offline   Reply With Quote