View Single Post
Old 09-16-2006, 05:53 PM   #4
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Lightbulb I think I understand your problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitzclan
.... The WDH really helped the braking (I also have electronic brake system) but it's like the back end of the sedona isn't beefy enough.
Back end is "floating"? Could be that you have the WDH torque up too high, and the rear axle unloaded too much. But much more likely, you've simply removed too much tongue weight, and the trailer tries to fall on its *** (lifting the front, and the hitch, and your Sedona's rear axle) every time you hit a bump.

I'm guessing that removal of all that weight from the TM front axle assembly was a BAD IDEA. Without at least 400 lbs tongue weight, your trailer is "tippy" and too likely to tilt upwards in front... which sounds EXACTLY like your problem! Stay with the designed tongue weight, 409 lbs (or more), and use the WDH to balance your axle heights properly.

Much better to be slightly over the Sedona's "official" limit than to have the trailer trying to fall on its Butt, lifting your TV rear axle from the ground.

- - - - -
Proper WDH adjustment:

Before you put on the WDH, measure the height of the Sedona body at the top/center of the wheels. After you put on the WDH, measure again, and adjust the number of spring-bar links to make it so that the front of the Sedona (at the front axle, above the middle of the tires) has gone down by the same distance as the back (at the back axle, also above the middle of the tires). After you've got the proper tongue weight, you might find that your "600 lb" bars aren't up to the job. If you need a bigger WDH, buy one.

"Saving" $200-300 by driving with a too-skimpy WDH (or NO WDH ) is false economy: The $300 upgrade is critical for keeping your $12K trailer, and your $10-15K Minivan, and all of your breakable body parts out of the ditch. SPEND THE MONEY, don't unload the tongue!