View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Plenty of support? Not on mine. IIRC, the layers going from the top was something like: thin aluminum sheet, 1/8" plywood, 3" foam, thin aluminum sheet. Thus, the "sub floor" is simply a sheet of aluminum. The factory was able to recess the battery to the aluminum sheet because they installed it in a case that had a flange that extended outwards about 1-2" all the way around, several inches from the bottom. It is not like any battery box I have ever seen. (There is actually a picture of it in post #3 of Mike's thread: the box on the far left in the picture.) The box sat inside a wood frame to raise the case about 2", and thus, the entire weight of the battery and case was still supported by the top floor (including the plywood and foam) through that flange and frame.

If you cut out all the foam down to the aluminum skin on your TM and rely on it to support the batteries, I seriously doubt you would even make it out of the driveway with them inside the TM. Or at least that's what would happen on my TM

Dave
Somehow, I missed his post........

On my '04, there is a sheet-metal panel that runs the width of the trailer (see attached pic), right under the battery. Plenty of support IMO but I will keep an eye on that panel for signs of stress. If it gets stressed, it should show up as a bend in the panel. If that happens, I can always reinforce. So far, so good.........~ 300 miles on it... Maybe they made that change with the new style bumper.........You're right though, if it wasn't for that panel, I would not have recessed the battery box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03513.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	5431